Short or Long Leash
All dogs should be taught basic leash skills.
These should include being able to control your dog when walking or when entering or exiting a crowded area. These skills are important safety skills not only for your dog, but also for you.
Some of the most familiar leash skills are loose leash walking and heeling.
There are heaps of articles and resources available to help you train your puppy or dog on those basic leash skills. We are confident that all would agree that having the right equipment for the job is the first step.
One of the most important pieces of equipment for training your dog is the leash you choose and this decision should correspond to the situations your dog will be encountering.
The most common size leash on the market is the 6ft long leash that allows your trained pup to explore without the problem of a dragging excess leash. This length can also help deter pulling in a trained dog.
You will find several different sizes on the market to select from and each length has its own individual benefits.
What are the benefits of a shorter leash: [3-4ft long]:
- Your ability to control the situation increases during training sessions due to your proximity to your dog.
- Often easier to place the leash towards the upper portion of the neck which often helps with guidance and correction.
- Best for situations that require your dog to be immediately by your side. These may include city-walking, large crowds and even trips to the veterinarian.
What are the benefits of a longer leash: [8-10ft and longer]
- While still maintaining control of your dog a longer length also allows for distance between you, which can be helpful with larger breeds.
- Longer leads (longer than 50ft) are useful when training for recall or additional long distance commands.
Please note that a few states have leash length laws. So before making your purchase you might want to check with the proper authorities.
In addition, if you are planning on showing your dog, it is important to check the rules of each show you have entered so you are sure to follow the specific leash length requirements. We hope that we have armed you with some tips to help make your lease length decision easier.
When in doubtbuy both!
Leather Paws dedicates itself to selling genuine cowhide leather leashes, handmade for superior craftsmanship right here in the USA.