Autumn & Your Dog
Are you and your pet prepared for the change in temperature?
Finally, the sweltering heat wave that is summer is over and no one could happier about that than your pooch. Ready to stretch his or her legs through the fall leaves without all the panting.
Be smart and be alert to following helpful fall advice.
In Plain Sight:
- School supplies The school supply aisle at the local office store calls us each fall. As we stock up, Fido begins salivating over the thought new pencil and glue stick treats. Most school supplies are not toxic to pets but they can cause severe tummy troubles.
- Mushrooms Mushrooms love the damp fall weather. The problem is, 99% of wild mushrooms are not toxic at all. But the remaining 1%? Highly toxic and could prove life threatening for your pet. Try to avoid areas with an overgrowth of wild mushrooms. If you suspect that your dog has ingested any or all of a wild mushroom, please immediately call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435.
- Acorns The small nut provides squirrels with food for the winter. Yet, they can cause organ damage and even intestinal blockage in smaller dogs.
- Decorations Tis' the season to be jolly for us. But, pets also like new shiny things and that definitely includes your dancing turkey garland. While not always toxic, many decorations can get lodged in a pet's intestines and need surgery for removal.
- Human Treats A feast for us can be hazardous for them. Many of our favorite human celebratory foods can cause your pet quite a bit of stomach distress or even life threatening or long-term negative effects. Check with your vet to get a copy of the no-no food list.
Needs to be on Your Radar:
- Rodenticides As the weather turns cooler, uninvited visitors like rats and mice will try to make their way inside your house. Remember as you protect your shelter to also protect your pup. The poisons used in many rodenticides can cause mild to fatal sickness for your pet. Use extreme caution and be sure to keep any traps or poison out of Fidos long paw reach.
- Car coolant (antifreeze) Summer is over and it is time to winterize the car. But one leak from your cars radiator is highly toxic to your furry friend. Antifreeze is sweet tasting to pets and any spills should be cleaned up immediately.
- Snakes Snakes like most animals are getting ready to hunker down for a long winters nap. Your pup might end up wandering into a snakes prospective winters resting place. Be sure you are aware of which poisonous snakes live in your area and keep a look out especially in deep brush.
- Ticks Ticks can continue to be active in the fall and into the winter. It is important to continue to use tick control and check your pet for ticks after being outside.
- Hunting Fall is prime hunting season in a large part of the United States. If you and your pet venture into the woods be sure you both wear see me colors to stand out to any potential hunters.
One More for Good Measure:
As the weather gets cooler many dogs need more food for added warmth. Yet, with the shorter days your dog may not be getting as much daily exercise. Keep an eye on your pets food intake and weight during this changing season. Make sure he/she is getting enough exercise to balance out any increased food quantity.
Leather Paws dedicates itself to selling genuine cowhide leather leashes, handmade for superior craftsmanship right here in the USA.